HOME       ABOUT       WHAT I WORE       RECIPES       FAQ       CONTACT       SPONSOR       BLOGROLL             
- Freckled Italian has moved, find me here! -

On Commitment

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

[One of my favorite photos, which I took in November of 2011 in Richmond and used originally in this post (another favorite).]

I was thinking about love the other day--the non-glamorous, difficult side of things that is so far removed from the weddings we love and re-post photos from on Pinterest. 

I thought about how simple, good communication is worth its weight in gold, and I thought about the nights that you will cry about bathroom rugs or furniture, or maybe go to bed angry but hold hands anyway because you love each other even when one of you is being an asshole, and the promise that's there even when the passion maybe won't be. 

And it's this--navigating the hard stuff and making it through not-so-glamorous times--that actually feels more magical to me than a bouquet of peach roses with baby's breath poking out, or mason jars wrapped in lace.

20 comments:

  1. LOVE this. So true.

    Carly
    www.lipglossandcrayons.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too ;) coming through those difficult times make you feel stronger and that your love is more connected.

    Kaara
    http://inthekitchwithkaara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this too! And I totally agree! That's what love is all about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely agree with this. This love thing is tough ... it takes patience and understanding. The best/ worst part about it, is that it is this unbelievably strong tie that binds and despite all the ups and downs you just know you are in it for the long haul. No matter what.

    And that's scary!

    Thanks for sharing and making me think!

    http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You couldn't have said it better. Thanks for sharing and reminding me that all relationships are work and not rainbows & butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am 100% with you on this. I just went through a really awful time in my relationship because I was so swept up in the "pinteresty" side of love that I could barely see the actions of love that happened every day. The compromise and the apologies and the commitment when frustrated. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, absolutely, sometimes the most wonderful thing about love is your best friend and having someone there while the two of you figure out what you're struggling with. So right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is just what marriage is - a lot of work and hard sometimes but at other times really perfect :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I was trying to calm Ben down last night when he was frustrated with his Calc and throwing things around the room, yes. It's patience and love, even when they're not being the best version of themselves. That's love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been trying (and thus far, failing) to put this into words. I've felt such a deeper sense love and commitment since Keith moved in. Less butterflies, more dirty dishes, sometimes more frustration, but more strength and security, too. And sometimes more slow dancing in the livig room with no music. You describe it perfectly. Thank you.

    <3 jen @ librarian tells all

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's easy when it's easy. And it's hard when it's hard. But, easy or hard, you cannot imagine being anywhere else. That's love. Put down roots and grow a life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. Thank you.

    Jamie
    greyskysaturday.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. Thank you.

    Jamie
    greyskysaturday.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The last paragraph is perfect!! I can't wait to have a simple wedding someday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO TRUE!! Period.

    http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...