HOME       ABOUT       WHAT I WORE       RECIPES       FAQ       CONTACT       SPONSOR       BLOGROLL             
- Freckled Italian has moved, find me here! -

Weekend in Photos // A Taste of the Twin Cities

Monday, February 18, 2013

I landed at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport late on Thursday night. There was snow on the ground but it was dark and I didn't get a very good first look at these incredible cities.

On Friday morning we woke up together and I took Rob to work in case I needed his car for something, which I really didn't, because after driving through a McDonald's for some breakfast and coffee, I ended up spending the day writing and unpacking boxes; decorating little corners of his apartment and maybe sort of pretending that I was moving in, myself. I had lunch delivered and took a shower and did something fun to my hair and at 3:30, left to pick Rob up at his office because he's done at 4:00 and that's awesome.

We planned our evening and the next day mostly around the food we would eat. After hearing that Minneapolis and St. Paul are something of a foodie haven, Rob compiled a list and we got right to it. Dinner on Friday night was at Yumi's Sushi Bar, and Saturday consisted of an amazing breakfast at Modern Times, a delicious (and almost completely Paleo) lunch at Brasa, and a romantic tapas dinner at Solera (get two orders of the dates--we did).









Spending time with Rob is always wonderful, but there was something really different and special about coming somewhere new, unpacking a few boxes and helping to make an apartment feel like home, and exploring a new city together. It was difficult to leave.

As my flight back to the East Coast took off (after some tears) on Sunday afternoon, I finally got a good look at the surrounding area, and it took my breath away. Covered in snow, the whole thing looked unfamiliar to me, but clean and new and beautiful, and it seemed to go on and on forever.


I can't wait to go back.

20 comments:

  1. looks like you had a blast! I'm so glad!

    Carly
    www.lipglossandcrayons.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the only one who planned certain days of my trips around food! It's good to know I'm not the only food junkie :P
    And the photo from the plane with all the snow on the ground is beautiful!

    - Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post caught my eye because I live in the cities- pretty sure I know where those photos were taken, you've found yourself a perfect neighborhood. You will love it there. Great pick on Solera! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at all that pretty snow! Love it.


    xx
    Bonnie Rose | The Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!! i am so glad you had a good weekend there to introduce you to the place. that is HUGE!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you almost make Minnesota sound...appealing! I'm glad you had a nice weekend with Rob and found good food to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last picture is really pretty. But woo, I'm so glad that you had a nice time. Did you have at least a few minutes of v-day to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That last picture is really pretty. And woo, I'm so glad you had a nice weekend! Did you have at least a few minutes of v-day to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures are beautiful! I love exploring new cities - do you know how long Rob will be there this time?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! So glad it was a good visit. Of course it's hard to leave, but there will be another visit before you know it. One thing fun about the long distance and new cities, you typically do more touristy things than you might otherwise. Well at least that's what we did when I lived in Chicago and he lived in South Carolina, and it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was in Minneapolis a few years ago and even though I landed in the middle of a snowstorm and the rest of my trip was spent in a cold hotel room, I had a blast. Everything I saw was gorgeous and there was a lovely vibe to the whole place. I hope you get to go back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at all the snow! It's incredible. Don't worry about the tears- I think people found me weird for not crying when I was in an LDR. I love that you planned your weekend around where you wanted to eat- I'm SO doing that soon! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous! Thanks for the kind words. That's definitely the best way to spend a weekend--eating great food!

      Delete
  13. Ah this made me tear up a little just because I was so jealous when you said "my flight back to the East Coast" I want to move back to Virginia so so badly. Seems like we should trade places huh? ;) But I'm glad you enjoyed it here. Salut is another good restaurant to put on your list for next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could! You should come visit! We want to go to Salut next time for sure--it looked awesome!

      Delete
  14. Oh I totally plan trips around different restaurants I've heard of!! It's one of my favorite things to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you loved Minneapolis! I've lived in Mpls my whole life and am pretty much obsessed! A few restaurant recommendations for next time you're in town...

    Masu Sushi and Robata (NorthEast Mpls)
    Pizzeria Lola (South Mpls)
    Butcher and the Boar (Downtown Mpls)
    Nightinggale (Uptown Mpls)
    Harriet Brasserie (Southwest Mpls)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just like that another one bites the dust and falls in love with the Midwest :) (This is coming from a Wisconsin girl who will never leave)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just like that another one bites the dust and falls in love with the Midwest :) (This is coming from a Wisconsin girl who will never leave)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...