HOME       ABOUT       WHAT I WORE       RECIPES       FAQ       CONTACT       SPONSOR       BLOGROLL             
- Freckled Italian has moved, find me here! -

Friday Favorites (19)

Friday, March 22, 2013

Happy Friday! Being a little under the weather has also made me feel a little anxious. I ate a lot of junk food, but managed to go to bed early every night. You win some, you lose some!

[Monday snacks with my friend Erica.]

Some weekend reading for you:

Funny, Cute, and Pretty
This killed me--Boss Really Getting On Man's Ass About Finishing NCAA Bracket. I love The Onion.
How sweet is this little polka dotted background for your phone or computer? Nice and spring-y!
I treated myself to a new dress for Melissa's wedding this summer.
I love Maddie's blog--so sweet and creative.

Culture 
I loved this beautiful story about Hillary Thompson, an inspiring transgender skateboarder.
Almost fist-pumped while reading about the Westboro Equality House. Aaron Jackson, let's be friends.
Fantastic thoughts on the Stuebenville rape trial and our culture of rape in general: "I can't imagine doing anything to someone who is passed out, other than finding them a blanket and rolling them onto their side in case they puke."
This was a really beautiful piece about modern marriage.

Odds & Ends
This blog post about having a deaf dog resonated with me as Rocky's hearing has already said "see ya!".
Cool photos from a springtime snow in China.
I started doing this plan this week to get my butt in gear. It's kind of like having a coach.
My friend Jackie has a cute stationary shop--but I also love this banner she sells.
I love reading people's "Currently" posts--read Robyn's here!
Have you checked out Feedly? I love it! I don't even care that Google Reader is discontinuing anymore!

--

I'm off to Northern Virginia after work today to hang out with Rob and his brothers--he got in yesterday and I can't wait to get there! I'm also hoping to say hi to and get coffee with a few friends while I'm in town. What do you have planned this weekend?

11 comments:

  1. You sweet thing...I wonder where I get my inspiration from..!? My weekend has already begun...have a super onex

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw the picture, I suddenly felt the urge to have a banana chocolate chip muffin!

    The Steubenville case has revealed the truth about so many people. It's been interesting (and kind of horrifying) to learn what folks in my circle think about the case and about who's to blame. I don't know if you watch the Melissa Harris-Perry show on MSNBC, but they had a fascinating discussion about rape and rape culture in the United States.

    What an interesting look at marriage! I've been with my boyfriend for a little over a year and everyone around us seems to think that we'll be getting married. I've known of him for about ten years, but I didn't get to know him until a few months before we started dating. The embarrassing thing is that I've had a crush on him this entire time. From the limited interaction we had in high school years ago, to the the few times we ran into each other since then. During that time, I fantasized (in a totally healthy and normal way, I think) about what it would be like to marry him. We would be the perfect couple. We like the same music and have many of the same ideals. Our children would be a lovely Puerto Rican/Dutch mix. Yes. But now, after dating for a while, the marriage thing is feeling like something that could actually happen...and I'm terrified. And it's not that I don't love him or that I don't want to get married (because ideally, I would still want that married/kids thing by 30), but it's that it all feels so real all of a sudden. My friends are getting married and having kids and I waffle between feeling so very young and and feeling like an adult who is totally ready for the challenge and rewards of that next step. Whew! I just wrote a novel-length comment. Sorry about that.

    theramblingfangirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. you totally said something to be about being in NoVa and i'm realizing i don't think i ever responded?!?! fail. anyway, kyle and i are getting engagement pics tomorrow afternoon, but i'm around after that or sunday if you wanna do breakfast/coffee or something!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also loving Feedly! Glad that we've been forced to check out better alternatives! The marriage piece is really interesting to me because it's written from a guy's perspective (seems rare to hear men talk about their thoughts on marriage). I think it sums up how in our generation it seems to take 20-something men longer to "grow up" and want to commit to a serious relationship than women. They prefer to live in the moment. Totally agree with "marriage as a public admission of circumstances, as correct labeling, because the future will be uncertain regardless, and organizing in preparation has to be O.K." in terms of getting married when you want to regardless of timing, and not waiting until everything is all settled and perfect in life.

    Cristina--it's normal to feel terrified when things finally get real! But it will be ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's an article you might like on the subject of Steubenville. Moved me to tears, especially the end http://www.aholyexperience.com/2013/03/after-steubenville-what-our-sons-needs-to-know-about-manhood/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Westboro Baptist Equality house! Someone has some real ingenuity over there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the shout out! Hope your CrossFit challenge goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to do that workout plan to get my butt in gear as well! I'm on a mission so that plus yoga might be exactly what I need. Thanks for the info! Always love reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...