HOME       ABOUT       WHAT I WORE       RECIPES       FAQ       CONTACT       SPONSOR       BLOGROLL             
- Freckled Italian has moved, find me here! -

Recipe: Paleo Strawberry Banana Sorbet

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I'm all about frozen yogurt.

You know those little fro-yo shops that are all named something relating to frogs or bubbles and cherries? My internal five-year-old cheers, yes! every time I see a new one crop up. I first discovered the wonder that is frozen yogurt a little late, I think at age twenty-two, when my friend Emma took me to Berrybody in Williamsburg. With her guidance, I got the tart flavor with fresh fruit on top of it and was like, embarrassingly blown away by its majesty.

It wasn't until I started stopping by my local frozen yogurt shop for breakfast that I realized I might have a problem. Several yogurt-laden months later I went Paleo and cut out dairy, and as I wept for my morning lattes and anytime frozen yogurt, I realized that there were non-dairy sorbets available, which, to this day, I still eat in earnest. They make a good treat, but they're full of sugar and we know that and it's just not appropriate to eat dessert every single day like we might want to.

So let's make our own, and let's eat it for breakfast.



 

Ingredients:
Makes 3 servings
2 1/2 cups of fresh, ripe strawberries
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup of (canned) coconut cream
1 tbsp agave nectar

1. Combine ingredients in a food processor or a blender. Basically you're making a smoothie.
2. Pour the mixture in a container (I used a Ziploc bag) and stick it in the freezer overnight.
3. Take it out when it's solid but not completely frozen and you're ready to serve it. Scoop it out or, if you used a bag, cut a corner off and sort of "pipe" it into dishes. 
4. Garnish with a strawberry and eat while it's still mostly frozen.


10 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! A Pinkberry recently opened a block away from my school and I've felt the fro-yo calling me on a daily basis. I've tried to stay away as often as possible, but as the weather has warmed up, practically every teacher has had the craving, too. Peer pressure and all that.

    But I've been feeling really gross lately (I don't think it's because of the frozen yogurt) and I'm trying to change a few things about my diet. I've been hearing about this Paleo thing a lot, so it will be nice to give it a go, especially since I know dairy doesn't agree with my body.

    theramblingfangirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good. Ive been trying more paleo recipes these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sorbet, you make it look so easy! thanks for the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy yumminess! That looks amazing! I love that all this fresh fruit is coming in season. I have been waiting so long! Must try this. xo

    Love, Richelle from Lynn + Lou

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! That looks delish and you can do a variety of different flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so incredibly delicious! I would definitely make it asap if I wasn't allergic to banana! I would be so sad if I had to cut out dairy, so I'm glad you're able to make something tasty like this to make up for the lack of frozen yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...perfect for my sister and me this Sunday afternoon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...