HOME       ABOUT       WHAT I WORE       RECIPES       FAQ       CONTACT       SPONSOR       BLOGROLL             
- Freckled Italian has moved, find me here! -

Things I Learned at Alt Summit 2014

Tuesday, January 28, 2014


I went to Salt Lake City with big hopes of making connections and learning something about blogging. I did that.

But then, about halfway through the conference, I started to feel this renewed sense of inspiration and creativity--an itch to get things done--which maybe I expected, but wasn't totally prepared for. It felt good. I sat down with Megan Silianoff, author of 99 Problems but a Baby Ain't One, and chatted about writing vs. blogging. I had a delicious meal and, later, a couple of cocktails with some wonderful people from La Crema. And I had the pleasure of listening to Ben Silbermann of Pinterest close the conference with totally eloquent words about work and failure and creativity.

There's a lot that I'm still processing, so I think I'll just leave you with a list of things I took away from my time at Alt Summit.

+ Your voice really matters. Be true to it. Be authentic in everything you do.
+ Strive to create something that's open, accepting, and filled with love.
+ Don't be afraid to try new things.
+ Sometimes you're going to have to work really, really hard.
+ Don't be afraid to fail--every other successful person has done it, will do it, is doing it.
+ The gap between where you are and where you want to be should get bigger as you do. Never stop growing.
+ Just be better than you were yesterday.


Photo via my Instagram, which I took from Blair, who sat next to me on our flight + is also marrying a Rob.

11 comments:

  1. Fabulous advice. It's amazing how a conference can provide both the practical side of things, with tips and networking and the like, and at the same time provide a totally mental, emotional surge of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't go to Alt Summit, but through all the posts I've been seeing, even I feel some of the buzz you guys created. So, thank you for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips - wish I could have gone to that conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go next year! There were a couple cool food-related panels.

      Delete
  4. #toinspiration! So delighted to hear you could draw so much! Nothing better than feeling like you came out of a conference winning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this list! I saw Alt summit all over Twitter and Insta, so I was curious to hear more about it. Your words are really inspiring to me today--I've been having a tough time lately getting dragged down with my day job, and I've been dealing with a lot of fears that I won't ever accomplish what I dream to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok you are darling! I wish I could have met you at Alt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice! Thank you for sharing. :) I enjoyed following everyone's pictures on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would expect to leave ALT feeling inspired...I hope to make it next year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...